About Bella Luna Toys
I’m Sarah Baldwin, an experienced Waldorf early childhood teacher, author, the mother of two Waldorf grads, and owner of Bella Luna Toys. We are a small, independent, woman-owned business, operating on the beautiful coast of Maine.
Bella Luna Toys is committed to offering unique natural toys and products for children and families that are safe, healthy, and encourage imaginative play. You will find no battery-operated or plastic toys here, the kind that will be played with for a short time before ending up in a landfill.
Our quality toys are not disposable. They are built to last; the kind of toys that can be passed on or handed down to future generations.
Most of our toys are made in the USA, Europe, or Canada. The ones made overseas are certified to be ethically and sustainably made. Our toys have been tested to meet the strictest safety standards.
What Are Waldorf Toys?
What makes a toy a “Waldorf toy?” Yes, they are natural toys, but there is so much more to it than that. To find out, read my article “What Are Waldorf Toys?”
As a former actress, my life changed profoundly when I became a mother for the first time. I realized soon afterwards that children were meant to be my life's work.
In my early days as a young mother, I taught music-and-movement classes for parents and toddlers; began a support and activity group for stay-at-home-moms; and worked in mainstream preschool settings in California before enrolling in Waldorf early childhood teacher training. I completed my training in 1999 at Sunbridge College in New York and received an M.S.Ed. in Waldorf early childhood education in 2004.
I taught early childhood classes at the Ashwood Waldorf School in Rockport, ME over a period of ten years. I have also served as a member of the Board of Trustees of LifeWays North America, an organization devoted to developing healthy childcare and training programs for caregivers, parents and educators.
I am the author of Nurturing Children and Families, a guide for teachers and leaders of Waldorf-inspired playgroups and parent/child classes.
Bella Luna Toys is proud to be an approved business member of Green America, a non-profit organization in Washington, DC which recognizes businesses who are required to document their eco-friendly and fair labor business practices.
Bella Luna Toys is committed to the following environmentally-friendly practices:
- We carry toys that are made with natural and organic materials such as wood, cotton, wool, and non-toxic finishes and vegetable dyes.
- We use eco-friendly tissue paper, gift boxes and gift bags made of recycled paper.
- We reuse and recycle supplies, boxes, packing peanuts and bubble wrap whenever possible. Many of our shipping boxes have been on previous trips, so please excuse any extra stickers or markings!
- We choose Carbon Neutral Shipments when shipping via UPS to offset our carbon footprint.
- Our electricity is purchased through Maine Interfaith Light and Power, providing us with 100% clean and renewable energy.
Bella Luna Toys supports Waldorf schools in the United States through our affiliate program. Ask us how your school can participate.
In addition, Bella Luna Toys has been proud to support developing Waldorf early childhood schools in Costa Rica, China, the Dominican Republic, and Kenya.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions, comments or suggestions.
Sarah Baldwin, Owner
Bella Luna Toys
3 Gordon Dr.
Rockland, ME 04841
* NOTE: All original photography is protected by copyright laws and may not be used without permission.