Waldorf window stars are a beautiful craft to decorate windows with color. But, did you know it's not merely stars you can create with kite paper? There are endless designs to create out of the waxy, window star paper (kite paper and window star paper can be used interchangeably to call this type of paper), and today we share how to create tulips and daisies to welcome Spring. Create an entire garden right on your windows!
Gather Your Supplies:
- Waldorf window star paper
- Scissors or paper trimmer
- Glue stick
Create A Tulip
1. To create a tulip, you will need one sheet of window star paper in the color you'd like the flower, and one sheet of window star paper in green for the stem.
2. Begin with the flower colored square of window star paper.
3. Fold it in half diagonally to make a triangle shape.
4. Fold this triangle in half.
5. Fold one side of the triangle inward, making the crease in the center.
6. Repeat with both sides.
7. Turn shape over to flat side.
8. Fold corners inward to created a more rounded shape.
Next, we will create the stem!
1. Begin with the green square of window star paper.
2. Fold the square in half diagonally to form a triangle.
3. Unfold to reveal center guide line.
4. Fold edges inward to meet at center guide line.
5. Repeat with both sides.
6. Fold the bottom edge in to meet the center guide line.
7. Repeat fold on both sides.
8. Fold one of the top edges inward to meet center guide line.
9. Repeat fold on both sides, creating a point.
10. Fold point in half vertically, with folded sides of paper on the inside.
11. Fold in half horizontally, with fold on outside to create a leaf shape.
12. Add glue to top of the stem and attach flower. Ta Da!
Create A Daisy
1. For a daisy, you will need two sheets of kite paper in the petal color of your choice, plus a small piece of yellow kite paper for the center of the flower. Begin with one square of petal colored paper.
2. Fold the square in half
3. Fold this rectangle in half again
4. Open to reveal guide lines
5. Cut on the guide lines.
6. Repeat these steps with both sheets of petal color paper to end with 8 small squares.
7. Fold square of paper in half diagonally to make a triangle.
8. Unfold to reveal guide line
9. Fold one corner in to meet center point and repeat with other corner.
10. Fold one edge inward to meet on center guide line.
11. Repeat with other side's edge to form a point.
12. Fold down top point to create a more rounded shape.
13. Glue all petals together, slightly overlapping one another. Then cut out two circles of yellow paper, one slightly larger than the other.
14. Glue the largest circle in the center of the petals. Glue the smaller circle on top of the larger one to form the center of the flower. Ta Da!
These daisy shaped window stars look wonderful hanging without a stem, but if you would like to create more of realistic Spring Garden look, you can cut out a stem shape from green paper to add to the bottom. Hang your flowers in a sunny window with a little spot of glue or tape and let the Springtime colors fill your home with joy.